The 2015 Oscars can be described as having been okay at best. I think the Golden Globes were a little bit better this year. Neil Patrick Harris did a great job though, he was funny and witty, and I love the way he talks. He has that Barney Stinson way of dragging out words or pausing to make it funny. In a room filled with entertainers, there was hardly any entertainment, I just don’t get it. Last year, Ellen did a great job and really made those jokes hers and interacted with the audience which was fun to watch. I think the show needed a little more of that spice or some dancing numbers.
This year it was all about the speeches and there were some surprises in many categories especially Best Picture. I think everyone was shocked, Birdman was a great movie, but I think most people thought Boyhood would win. Take a swig like Mr. Cumberbatch and let’s talk about what happened and discuss the most interesting moments of the evening.
1. NPH in his underwear re-enacting the infamous Birdman scene.
2. The dresses this year. My favorite had to be Rosamund Pike’s beautiful red dress with matching red shoes. Now that is hard to pull off, but she looked perfect.
3. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s speeches for both Best Director and Best Picture. For best director he mentioned that he was wearing Keaton’s tighty-whities for good luck and best picture he made remarks about immigration and allowing everyone the same rights. Rarely do see we any Mexican artists get credit from this kind of a community and what a powerful platform to make a statement about immigration.
4. While we are on the topic WTF Sean Penn. I am sure he was joking, but his stupid comment when he announced Alejandro’s win, by saying “Who gave this son of a bitch a green card,” was stupid and ill-timed.
5. J.K Simmons won for Best Supporting Actor and I loved what he said about appreciating your loved ones. He said if you have them around, call them!
6. John Legend and Common’s performance of the song Glory from Selma. The performance was moving and had many actors in tears.
7. Jared Leto’s hair ugh… I can’t get over it. His hair is beautiful and he is a man who knows how to rock an umbrella.
8. The Grand Budapest Hotel beat out a lot of other films in four technical categories. This is rare for Wes Anderson to get so much recognition and boy was he happy.
9. Patricia Arquette’s speech for Best Supporting Actress. She made a statement about wage equality and women’s rights. You go girl!
10. The Oscar made out of Legos. And Emma Stone holding it in the audience, she is too cute!
11. Eddie Redmayne’s acceptance speech for Best Actor. OMG how cute! He looked genuinely surprised and shocked and said that he would be the custodian of the award and that it was for everyone battling ALS.
12. Common snubbed Oprah when he won for Best Song. Seriously that was funny.
13. The Idina Menzel rehash of last year’s major mess up by John Travolta. Is it just me or does he look kind of creepy?
14. But really what was up with Lady Gaga’s gloves?? Loving the memes going around.
15. Juliane Moore’s acceptance speech was also great for Best Actress. She added some fun to it, but also raised awareness for Alzheimer’s disease and made it a heartfelt speech.
16. One of my fave moments of the night was Graham Moore’s speech for Best Adapted Screenplay. It was personal and unique and he serves as voice for everyone out there who considers themselves different. Stay weird my peeps.
Tell me what you guys thought of the Oscars? What were your favorite or least favorite moments of the show?